Sunday, October 24, 2010

We're still in waiting mode...

Day 56
Rini enjoying a chewie
(Chase in the background)
With temps in the 99's and a high of 100.2 this afternoon, Rini's not going to be going into labor anytime tonight. She seems to be feeling more comfortable today and has been eating better. By "eating better" what I mean is that she finished all of her dinner, shoved Chase out of the way and ate his, and was halfway through Viola's before I caught her. Don't worry, I gave the other dogs each a new bowl of food. =)

Usually I have to protect Rini while she's eating, because Cricket, our black cat, can get pushy and he likes dog food. Today I was occupied doing dishes and putting away the dog vitamins and canned food. Rini is a sneaky little vixen! And she said she was FEEDING HER PUPPIES DARN IT!! So I gave her an ADDITIONAL bowl of one cup of dry food and she ate most of that. I can still see her ribs on her sides, so she's really using all of this extra food! I'm happy to see her appetite returning, because she went a few days where she was barely eating her meals and I was worried about her. That's another sign of impending labor, they start turning down all food.

"Labor can take
HOW MANY hours??"
The EARLIEST the puppies can be born without any problems is this Monday, day 58. We are hoping she will go longer, because they would still be considered preemies at that stage and would probably require supplementing and we might have weak puppies. So we are hoping she makes it until at least Wednesday or Thursday if she's going to be early. Ideally she'll wait the entire time and whelp on time, the 31st.

If you're on the waiting list and you did NOT receive an email from me yesterday titled something like "Rini Update 10/22" with information about what to expect, please email me at johannah@timbreblue.com and let me know because I don't have you on my list.

I also urge everyone on the waiting list for this litter or considering a whippet to join our Timbreblue Pupwatch email list, which is for new owners or people considering whippets. Please join and introduce yourself! You can ask any and all questions there and not be afraid of people "flaming" you -- we don't put up with that! Everyone is polite and helpful. Here is the link: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/TimbrebluePupwatch/

No comments:

Post a Comment